By: Denz Laguipo
NOT all people have a happy Christmas celebration as an old man and a girl died, while 38 others were sent to different hospitals due to tide poisoning.
Tapatnews.com got this information from the Department of Health (DOH) saying the incidents took place in the Eastern Visayas Region.
DOH report said the 81-year-old man ate the shellfish he bought on December 22 in Carigara, Leyte.
The man did not know that the shellfish has a poison.
The other victim was a nine-year-old girl from Barangay Tucdao in Kawayan town in Biliran, DOH said.
Four other people, also from Kawayan town, were also brought to Biliran Hospital after they ate shellfish with red tide poisoning.
On December 22, six people from Barangay Balaguid in Cabucgayan town were rushed to the hospital also due to the shellfish tainted with red tide toxin.
On December 23, 30 people in Maripipi town, also in Biliran, fell victim to red tide poisoning.
DOH confirmed that the old man, the young girl (who both died), and the 38 people (who were rushed to the hospital) were all victims of shellfish with toxics.
DOH said they have informed the public not to eat sea foods that came from the bay in Eastern Visayas as they are contaminated with toxics.
DOH stressed that the department was never remised on its duty to remind the public about the tide poisoning in the bay of Eastern Visayas Region.